One 3y3 Open

02 October 2010

Excuse me, have we met?

Hello. You look familiar. I can't quite figure out where I might know you from, but I never forget a face. I know I've seen you somewhere before.

The thing that is throwing me off is that you look like the older version of someone I knew a long time ago. You now have gray hairs sprouting, and a thinning (and receding) hairline is definitely showing. I'm sorry if that offends you--it's not meant to be offensive. It's just an observation.

Yeah, and I can see wrinkles around your eyes. They aren't quite that prominent yet, but I see them there. Are they from stress? Laughing? Crying? Too much time in the sun? Or did you just neglect to moisturize like everyone says you should? You may look older than I remember, but there is definitely something in your eyes that seems familiar.

When did you decide to start growing a beard? The person I remember tended to have some form of facial hair. It was usually a goatee, or a closely cropped "chin strap" thing that seemed popular years ago. He said that it helped him look a little older. That, and it also helped define some of his facial features that he felt got lost in the fullness of his face. I'm not sure if the beard is becoming, but to each his own.

If you're the same person, I've noticed that you are dressing a little differently these days. The guy I remember enjoyed dressing in skater/print t-shirts, and baggy or relaxed jeans. I remember he used to say, "I hate tight fitting clothes." It seems like you might be taking a more conservative approach to the way you dress these days. Maybe you've matured a little. Who knows?

Oh, wait! Now I recognize you. Yes, that is indeed you. It seems like a lifetime since we first met. I hope life is treating you kindly.

Funny how reflections in the mirror can bring back memories.

No comments: